Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cleansy Things, Compost and In-laws.

Alrighty friends, I didn't put recipes in, because that seems like a lot of work for one post, so instead I've listed ideas and as the cleanse progresses, I will post the food of the day and any recipes needed.

The nice thing about cleansing, is that the food is clean and simple. So there shouldn't be anything too complicated.


Cleanse rules via advocare site:

  1   NO fried foods, refined sugars, corn or white starches, or bread
  2   NO wheat products (i.e. bread, crackers) 
  3   NO dairy (i.e. cheese, yogurt, milk) 
  4   NO alcohol (you’re on a cleanse...hold off for 10 days)
  5   NO coffee or soda (drink water or SPARK...this will reduce inflammation)
  6   EAT VEGGIES: salads during the day and steamed at night will scrub your system
               (choose spices over dairy/sugar based condiments) 
  7   EAT FRUIT: fibrous an low glycemic choices (apples, grapefruit, berries) 
  8   EAT HEALTHY FATS (i.e. avocado, nuts/seeds, olives/olive oil) 
  9   EAT CLEAN PROTEINS: feed muscle and reduce appetite (tuna and salmon will aid in cleansing;
                eggs/chicken would be secondary options; stay away from processed lunch meats) 
 10   EAT CLEAN CARBS: (i.e. rice, hummus, oatmeal... if needed) ]

   DRINK WATER! (Goal = 1 gallon, or 4 liters, per day)


Snack Ideas:
  • hard boiled eggs
  • all natural jerky
  • raw vegetables (personal faves: being: zucchini, cucumber, carrots)
  • fruit (personal faves: berries, bananas, peaches, melon)
  • all natural peanut or cashew butter with apples or carrots
  • raw almonds

Breakfast ideas:
  • Scrambles: 1 whole egg, 2 whites and vegetables
  • oatmeal (not minute oats) with peaches
  • Think Thin protein bars (personal fave flaves: white chocolate and cookies'n'cream)
  • vegetable/fruit juices (no preservatives, dairy or added sugar)
Lunch:
    
      I mostly eat leftovers from dinner for lunch, but other ideas:
  • tuna salad with craisins, raw cashews, curry powder, onion and a little vegennaise
  • salad, salad salad.
  • salads with leftover protein from dinner
  • grilled vegetables and chicken
  • lettuce wraps
Dinner:
  • vegetarian stuffed bell peppers 
  • stuffed zucchini with lean ground beef and tomatoes
  • brown rice with chicken, pineapple, onions
  • grilled salmon 
  • turkey meat loaf
  • curried lentil stew, brown rice
  • lean steak
  • spaghetti squash with marinara and chicken
  • halibut
  • pork kebabs
I haven't stocked my fridge yet, because it's too soon. I will most likely go on Sunday so that everything is fresh and have to make at least one (but more likely two) trips to the produce market throughout.

Speaking of produce. I'm excited to announce that I'm composting again! We found a great system that's super easy, doesn't smell, and doesn't take up a bunch of space. Wanna know about it? I know you're suuuuuuper into being green and organic. Get ready! It's called Bokashi. It's basically a happy family of bacteria, fungi, protozoa, rotifers and actinomycetes that accelerate the breaking down of waste. We just bought a 5 gallon bucket and put raw compostables in there, after a layer of waste, you sprinkle a layer of Bokashi. It's nice because I don't have to hike out to the compost bin. Since it controls unpleasant odor, I can keep it right in the kitchen. We've been at it for about 2 weeks. If you eat a lot of produce, I recommend composting. It cuts down on your garbage bags and feeds your (or someone else's) garden. If you're interested, there is a company in Southern Oregon that makes it. Their website sucks, but there's tons on info on the interweb about it.

This evening, E's parents are coming over for the first time ever. We've (I've) been meaning to have them over for dinner for a while, but he's not easily persuaded. I'm kind of nervous. I don't have the closest relationship with them yet (I know it's pathetic, we've been together over 2 years), but I'd like to. I really do miss having parents, when you get down to the plain and simple. It's a rich relationship that can't be replaced. There are definitely some of my elders that do a great job making me feel loved, but no one takes care of you like your mama. I know that relationships can't be forced and they aren't always easy or fun, but at very least, I would like them to know who I am. Not just the surfacey stuff, but to have a good sense of my character and my heart. I anticipate that E's parents will be my in-laws... I would really like to bond with them.

Now comes all the nervous energy though. They're serious wine connoisseurs. I don't know what kind of wine to get!!! I also don't know what to make for dinner!!! I thought I might keep it casual and make pulled pork, but now I'm thinking I should show off some culinary skill and make something fancy. I don't know. I don't usually get nervous to host, but I'm sure some of you can relate.

So, I'm off to the store. I know it's hot to bake a pie, but I'm going to do that too. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment