Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Victories

As we are in the last week of the term, it is time to take my ending stats in my weights class. The strength assessment at the beginning of the term was a bench press of 45% of my weight (55% for men). So I benched 70lbs as many times as I could. I started the term having done 15 (in hindsight, I could have pushed out 20, lift and learn) and today I did 30 reps. That's double! We also did our weigh ins, and I have lost about 2.5lbs (152.6 today). On Thursday I get pinched, this is the result I am anxious to see. The body fat percentage. I KNOW i could have worked harder this term, as far as nutrition, but I'm still really excited. If you recall I was at 24.7% at the beginning of the term (24/7 ha! just realized that), and I was hoping for 19%. I know I didn't push hard enough to reach that, but I would be thrilled with any loss. 22% is my current hope.

It's been interesting having the scale, but I told E this morning, it needs to go away again. I really think I will be happier if I weigh once a month. I've also proven to myself (and all of you) that I do better without it. So, onto no-weigh-JUNE!

Sitting outside at school in the shade, because Oregonians melt in heats above 80 degrees. I had a good work out in weight lifting, enjoying an iced latte. 'Tis the calm before the storm. For the next 3 days, I will be a whirlwind of stress and emotion, then I will drink it away over the weekend.

People keep asking me if I have reached my goal weight. Or if I'm trying to lose weight... I'm struggling with answering this question in a way that makes sense. so let me work out my articulation here.

I have officially lost and maintained a 40lb weight loss. I am about 12lbs from my ultimate goal weight. I feel pretty good about my body, I feel proud of what I've accomplished. I think that weight loss, in this phase, is inevitable. I dieted and worked hard for those 40lbs. By dieted, I mean counted my calories and I exercised 5-6 times a week. I sweat, cried, hated myself, loved myself and battled bulimia. I am no longer focused on losing, but weight loss is a symptom of a healthy lifestyle. I am sure this summer I will lose 5lbs without even a thought, just because I will enjoy the bounty of summer, fruit, vegetables, grilled meat. I will also be more active because I will be outside doing things and soaking up all that vitamin D. I think as women, we can become so obsessed with weight and forget about the health part. I exercise to look bangin', but I also exercise, because I know that I am not getting younger. Being healthy doesn't get easier. If I can prevent diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, and heart disease now? I'm sure as hell going to do it. Improved body image is a plus, but in comparison to those things? It's nothing. I plan to do everything I can to "live long and prosper". If you haven't already, join me!

We only get one body. We only get one shot at life. Why not own it?

I know this is short and not very sweet. I'm racking my brain to decide how I want to direct this blog. I think it will become more clear when I have more time to devote to it. Health and nutrition are very important to me, but I can't identify this as a "weight-loss blog". It's more of a "shit Rachel says" than anything.

I hope you are well! All of my love and support on your own personal journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment