Monday, June 3, 2013

Weigh in

The migraine is still hanging on, but only by a couple strings. It's gotten much better.

Good news! I finally did my June weigh in, after taking almost the whole month and have learned that I have no issues with gaining. I weighed in at 153.2. I feel really good about this, because I know I have gained at least a pound of muscle. So I actually lost this month. I can't tell you how incredible it felt to see that smaller number crush all of my fears about how I eat. I was not perfect with my diet or exercise last month, but without tracking everything I ate (and still "splurging") I was able to lose. Without even trying! I can live without the scale and I think I will, maybe only utilizing it once of twice a month.

Also, I did 2 pull ups. That may not seem like a big deal, but it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm proud of those 2. I want to get a pull up bar for the house… I just don't know where to put it.

My term of school ends on the 16th of this month, but my last class is on Friday (the 7th). I am buckled down trying to get these last few papers and assignments up to par, but I can taste the summer! I'm currently at the beach on Sauvies's island, and being here makes me more and more excited. I am headed to the coast for the weekend for my eldest sister's birthday and a good friend of mine, Jessica is coming for Friday night. It should be a very relaxing trip. My goal at the moment is to get all of my studying pretty well done by Friday, so I can just do a quick refresher come Monday for my finals.

My little sister, Emily, came with us to the beach today. She had plenty of homework to do herself, so we didn't gab the day away, but we were able to chat a little. She has had a series of minor health issues in the recent past and decided to see a Naturopath about it. They put her on a "sugar control cleanse" and oregano oil. The cleanse is an extreme paleo diet. No grains, dairy and sweeteners. She has about 10 days left. I will let you know how the cleanse works out for her. I know that this sounds all "granola" and shit, but I really do recommend seeing a Naturopath before seeing an MD (if your ailment is not life threatening). So many health issues can be resolved just by adjusting your nutrition. It's like Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food." No sense in pumping your body full of prescriptions, that lead to more prescriptions, with complications and new health issues. It's always good to try the path that does no damage first, and if it doesn't work? See a medical doctor.

Friday after class, I hit the gym and did a classic Rachel work out, weights, cardio, abs, stretching. Then I headed home and waited for my gal pal Niki to join me for some grocery shopping and cooking and wine drinking. Then our other pals Lance and Brandon joined us. Had an interesting and hilarious evening. However, I think the mix of red wines is what triggered the massive migraine of 2013.

On Saturday, E and I went out on the boat and enjoyed some nice weather. Did some wakeboarding, beaching, volleyballing and stopped at a little restaurant on the water, called Mark's on the Channel, in Scappoose. Really great food. If you're a boater and venture out that way, you should definitely check it out. Park your boat, eat on the deck, have a cocktail and enjoy some live music at dusk. It's really very picturesque.


I tried to wakeboard last year and I am thrilled to work on it this summer. It took me YEARS to work up the courage. I had so many mental blocks about failing. I think I carry around a childhood of not being able to do the things the other kids could. I don't mean because I didn't want to, but because I was so overweight and out of shape that I physically could not keep up. At some point in my childhood or adolescence, I just stopped. I didn't do anything, because I was so terrified of being made fun of or rejected. I wouldn't say that I was bullied... well I was bullied, pretty badly, but what I remember is the isolation. Part of that was the fact that I didn't play sports with the other kids, but the other part was just being different. Some girls were closer to me (and still are today, shout out Bethany May!) but, the people at the top of the middle school food chain, weren't so interested. I can remember being invited to hang out with these girls whom I wanted so badly to be my BFFs. I had so much fun, but when boys were coming around, I was ditched. I'm digressing a lot, but I guess I hit a nerve.

I spent years not trying things. Simple things like, wakeboarding, playing poker, playing frisbee, going to the beach, hiking. I didn't do any of it. Looking back, I wish I could change it. I have had such an incredible time overcoming these hurdles and proving to myself that I am strong and I deserve to live without limitations. 

Now that I'm to the end of this blog, I realize what it's about.

Do right by your body, and your body will do right by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment